Altice Labs, SA (hereinafter referred to as Altice Labs), a limited liability company registered at the Commercial Registry Office of Aveiro, with registration number and VAT identity number 504 705 610, with a share capital of € 200,000 and headquarters at Rua Engenheiro José Ferreira Pinto Basto, 3810-106 Aveiro, will carry out an initiative called “Altice International Innovation Award” (AIIA), in the following terms.
AIIA intends to distinguish, promote and support the technological talent while reinforcing Altice as an innovative company.
The aim of the initiative is to award projects from finalist students and startups in the incubation phase, who present innovative projects in technological areas relevant to Altice International’s core business.
The initiative is applicable to the following countries:
The AIIA initiative intends to recognize innovative projects, from two categories:
- Master or PhD students from a Portuguese university;
- Startups in the incubation phase (up to 3 years old) legally based in Portugal.
The following individuals or groups are not allowed to participate in the AIIA:
- Employees of any of the companies of the Altice Group;
- Suppliers of any of the entities mentioned in the previous bullet;
- Any individual who is chosen to be part of the applications analysis and evaluation teams.
All the applications must be submitted online by using the form provided on the AIIA website. Submission by any other means will not be considered unless there are proven situations of unavailability/error in the form whose causes are attributable to Altice Labs.
Regarding the information to be submitted, it is mandatory:
- To be in the English language;
- To be zipped into one single file (*zip or *.rar) that must include:
- The powerpoint presentation available here (use this link to download it), completely filled in with the required information. Your application will be evaluated through it, and it will be one of the primary sources of information about it;
- For Academy: it must include a valid document proving you are or recently were a MSc or PhD student in an University from one of the above mentioned countries;
- For startups:
- From Portugal: it must include “Certidão Permanente” or other similar legal document.
It may include any other documents you considerer relevant to prove the value of the project (not mandatory).
5. Application conditions
By submitting an application, candidates fully agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth by this contest rules. If you don’t agree with these terms and conditions, you may not submit an application. Candidates must also be aware that:
- The applications and documents submitted will not be returned to the candidates;
- Candidates must bear all costs related to the preparation and submission of the application(s);
- Requests for clarifications about the AIIA should be addressed exclusively to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Altice Labs reserves the right to update AIIA’s regulation without previous notice;
- All shortlisted candidates will be informed by e-mail in case such changes directly affect them;
- Altice Labs reserves the right to cancel the AIIA by notifying all candidates by e-mail in the event of force majeure or in cases where applications submitted do not meet the minimum quality standards or creativity requirements;
- The cancellation mentioned in the previous bullet does not confer the right to the candidates for any compensation.
6. Evaluation criteria
The projects submitted will be evaluated according to the following criteria and weights:
- Creativity and innovation – 50%
- Business model and growth potential – 30%
- Impact on society – 20%
- Creativity and innovation – 60%
- Business model and growth potential – 15%
- Impact on society – 25%
The evaluation scale to be used will be 0 to 5.
Submitted projects will be valued, among others, for the ability to:
- Engage customers by delivering delightful, personalized experiences based on data and content as well as by allowing the convergence of functionalities among different devices;
- Enrich services through premium content offerings;
- Connect customers to brands through cutting-edge digital advertising platforms/applications;
- Offer a truly unique value proposition, data-driven, measurable and multiscreen experience to brands, agencies and the media industry;
- Transform business models: building innovative products/UIs based on actual customer behaviors and diversified business models;
- Optimize corporate operations, digitalize key customer processes and channels.
7. Selection process
All applications will be first validated to make sure they are eligible (Chapter 3) and have the mandatory documentation listed above (Chapter 4). The eligibility validation period will occur during the period mentioned in chapter 11.
All valid applications will then be evaluated (Chapter 6) by the local Committees that will be responsible for identifying a maximum of 4 finalists per country (up to 2 per category). The evaluation period will occur during the period mentioned in chapter 11.
The shortlisted candidates, by category, will defend their idea in a 5-minute pitch to the AIIA international Jury that will then be responsible for selecting the two AIIA winners (one per category), on a date to be revealed soon.
8. Jury, Evaluation and Monitoring Committee and deliberations
The Jury will be responsible for the evaluation on the pitch day. Besides including some key persons from the Altice Group, it will also be constituted by relevant personalities of the research and innovation system and social media of each of the geographies.
The Evaluation and Monitoring Committee main function is to ensure the proper functioning of the AIIA as well as to validate and evaluate all applications submitted. Each country will have a local committee. The Evaluation and Monitoring Committee will be constituted by members from Altice Labs (Portugal).
The deliberations of the Evaluation and Monitoring Committee and of the Jury are final and binding in all its aspects and may not be disputed.
9. Disclosure of finalists and results
The shortlisted projects will be firstly announced by an e-mail sent to all the candidates, on the date mentioned in chapter 11. They will then be publicly announced at least in AIIA website and Altice social networks.
Candidates from the shortlisted projects need to confirm their interest. In case of impossibility to attend the pitch moment, the vacancy will be filled by the next candidate in the ranking. Failure to attend the pitch will be considered a project elimination factor and, therefore, candidates for finalist projects must undertake to be duly represented at the said ceremony.
The Winners of AIIA will be known by:
- Public announcement in an event (winner’s ceremony);
- By publication on the award website and Altice social networks;
Other online channels.
10. Awards and honors
The awards for the 2 winning projects, one for the academy winner and one for the startup winner, are:
Startup award – only 1st place:
- € 50.000 (estimated value, since income taxes, local taxes or taxes related to international bank transfers may apply);
- PoC with Altice Group.
Academy award – only 1st place:
- € 25.000 (estimated value, since personal income taxes, local taxes or taxes related to international bank transfers may apply).
Together with the prize money, it may be offered to the winning startup the possibility to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to perform a proof-of-concept (PoC) in order to evolve its project technically and pre-commercially. The duration period for the PoC will be 9 months, extendable, if both parts wish so, up to 12 months.
11. Award schedule
The following dates should be taken into account by all candidates:
- March 5, 2020: release date;
- March 5 until June 30, 2020 (23h59 GMT): submission period;
- July 01 until July 10, 2020: validation of all the received applications by local committees;
- July 13 until September 29, 2020: evaluation of all the valid applications by local committees in order to find a maximum of 4 finalists per country (up to 2 per category);
- September 30, 2020: shortlist closing:
- October 1 until the last week of October, 2020: preparation period of the pitch moment and final ceremony;
- Late October or early November, 2020 (date to be announced soon): pitch to the Jury and Winner’s ceremony.
12. Intellectual property
Title to copyright and industrial property rights over the candidates’ projects remains with the Candidates, as well as all associated technical documentation and are not transferred to Altice Labs or to any of the companies of the Altice Group.
Each candidate will be responsible for the protection of any potential copyright and industrial property rights related to their application and the documents that comprise it. Altice Labs and/or the companies of the Altice Group will not be liable for any failure of the candidates to protect any copyright and/or industrial property related to the applications.
13. Data protection
Within the scope of the AIIA initiative, collecting and processing of personal data of the candidates in the application process is necessary to carry out all procedures inherent to the participation in the contest. Altice Labs undertakes to comply with the Personal Data legislation in force in the countries, namely Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation).
By completing the application form, the candidates expressly acknowledge that the processing of the data entered is necessary for the above purposes. All data provided will be treated as confidential, stored and processed only for the purpose for which it was collected, and made available only to the person(s) responsible for dealing with it. Personal data will not be passed on to third parties or published or made available for general access without the candidate’s express written consent. Candidates are granted the rights applicable by law, namely, rights of access, rectification, restriction of processing and erasure. Personal data referred to above will be stored for the period of time necessary for the purposes for which the personal data was processed.
14. Declarations and warranties provided by candidates
Each candidate declares and warrants that:
- The application submitted complies with the requirements of originality and has not been plagiarized and that the information and data it provides are true, accurate and are not encumbered in any way;
- The application and all accompanying documents and information do not infringe any third party rights, including copyrights and/or industrial property rights, and comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- The application does not contain any viruses or other potentially harmful programs or other material or information;
- It will act at all times lawfully, ethically and in good faith, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- It authorizes, free of charge, Altice Labs or any of the companies of the Altice Group to use, totally or partially, its name, its image, animated or not, and the reference to the project in the events carried out under the AIIA, for the purpose of promoting and disseminating the projects developed, in any part of the world and by any means, as well as its insertion in promotions and promotional materials of Altice Labs or any other company or brand of the Altice Group.
Candidate undertakes to indemnify Altice Labs against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses suffered or incurred by Altice Labs or Altice Group companies arising out of or in connection with any third party claim made against Altice Labs or Altice Group companies arising from breach of the warranties above.
15. Final provisions
The entire process of launching, processing, interpreting the contest rules, assigning and executing the AIIA will be the responsibility of Altice Labs, which will be the entity that manages and executes the entire initiative and is sovereign in its interpretation, application and deliberations on omissions.
The deadlines and dates contained in this contest rules document may be modified if deemed necessary by Altice Labs given the circumstances. Altice Labs will be responsible for the update and publication of the changes as soon as possible.
All disputes that may arise relating to the terms and conditions of the contest rules will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Lisbon.
If any provision of these terms and conditions is found by a court or other legitimate body to be illegal, invalid or unreasonable, it will not affect the remaining terms and conditions which will continue in force.