Altice Labs, SA (hereinafter referred to as Altice Labs), a limited liability company registered at the Commercial Registry Office of Aveiro, with registration number and VAT identity number 504 705 610, with a share capital of € 200,000 and headquarters at Rua Engenheiro José Ferreira Pinto Basto, 3810-106 Aveiro, will carry out an initiative called “Altice International Innovation Award” (AIIA), in the following terms.
The Altice International Innovation Award (AIIA) intends to distinguish, promote and support the technological talent while reinforcing Altice as an innovative company. The AIIA initiative starts at 23 of February 2018 and ends on 04 of October 2018.
The aim of the initiative is to award projects from finalist students (Master’s or PhD) and startups in the incubation phase (up to 3 years), who present innovative projects in technological areas relevant to Altice International’s core business:
- Media & Content;
- Data & Advertising.
The initiative is applicable to the following countries:
The AIIA initiative intends to recognize innovative projects, in the above mentioned technological areas (II. Scope), from two categories:
- Master or PhD students living in Portugal, France or Israel;
- Startups in the incubation phase (up to 3 years old) based in Portugal, France or Israel.
The following groups are not allowed to participate in the AIIA:
- Employees of any Altice Group companies;
- Service providers of any of the entities mentioned in point a);
- Any individual who is chosen to be part of the applications analysis and evaluation team.
All the applications must be submitted online by using the form provided on the AIIA website – http://www.alticelabs.com/site/innovationaward . Registration by any other means will not be considered unless there are proven situations of unavailability / error in the form whose causes are attributable to Altice Labs.
All the submitted information, as well as all the attached documentation, must be in English and, in order to better defend the project, it is suggested to submit at least one presentation (PDF format) with the following suggested (not mandatory) chapters:
- Project description and goals;
- Use cases;
- State of the art (not exhausted);
- Competitors identification, when applicable;
- Business model;
- Growth potential;
- Future perspectives.
5. Application conditions
By submitting an application candidates fully agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth by this contest rules. Candidates must also be aware that:
- The applications and documents submitted will not be returned to the candidates;
- Candidates must bear all costs related to the preparation and submission of the application(s);
- Requests for clarifications about the AIIA should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses will be given within a maximum of 5 working days, through the same channel;
- Altice Labs reserves the right to change or cancel the AIIA by notifying all candidates by e-mail in the event of force majeure or in cases where applications submitted do not meet the minimum quality or creativity requirements;
- The cancellation mentioned in d) does not confer the right to the candidates for any compensation.
6. Evaluation criteria
The projects submitted will be evaluated according to the following criteria and weights:
- Creativity and innovation – 50%
- Business model and growth potential – 30%
- Impact on society – 20%
The evaluation scale to be used will be 0 to 5.
7. Selection process
All valid applications received between February 23 and May 31, 2018, until 23:00 and 59 minutes (GMT), will be first evaluated by the local Committee that will be responsible for identifying 6 semi-finalists (3 from the academy and 3 from startups) per country. After that, the above-mentioned semi-finalists will be evaluated by the Altice Labs Committee that will be responsible for identifying the 6 finalists (once again, three from the academy and three from startups) no matter the origin country. The evaluation period will occur between June 04 and July 16, 2018.
Applications received will be evaluated according to a qualitative and quantitative methodology procedure in accordance with the criteria set out in point 6 of this contest rules. Only applications whose final evaluation grade is equal to or greater than 3.50 will be considered.
The shortlisted candidates, by category, will defend their idea in a 5-minute pitch to the AIIA international Grand Jury at a time and place to be published in a timely manner. The Grand Jury, to be disclosed soon, will be responsible to select the two AIIA winners (one per category) that will be announced in an event to be held on October 4, 2018, in a local to be announced shortly.
8. Grand jury, evaluation and monitoring committee and deliberations
The Grand Jury, to be disclosed soon, will be responsible for the evaluation on the pitch day. Besides including some key persons from Altice Group, it will also be constituted by relevant personalities of the research and innovation system and social media of each of the geographies.
The Evaluation and Monitoring Committee, whose main function is to ensure the proper functioning of the AIIA as well as to validate and evaluate all applications submitted, will be constituted by members from Altice Labs (Portugal), SFR (France) and HOT (Israel).
The deliberations of the Grand Jury and the Evaluation and Monitoring Committee are final and binding in all its aspects and may not be disputed.
9. Disclosure of finalists and results
Candidates from the 6 finalist projects will be contacted by email between July 16 and 20, 2018, having to confirm their interest until July 25. In case of impossibility to attend the pitch moment, the vacancy will be filled by the next candidate in the ranking table. The non-attendance on the pitch will be considered a project elimination factor and, therefore, candidates for finalist projects must undertake to be duly represented at the said ceremony.
The announcement of the results of the AIIA will happen:
- Through public announcement in an event (winner’s ceremony);
- By notification, by e-mail to the candidates;
- By publication on the award website.
10. Awards and honors
The awards for the 2 winning projects, one for the academy winner and one for the startup winner, are:
- Startup award – only 1st place:
- € 50.000 net of tax;
- PoC with Altice Group * ;
- Award trophy.
- Academy award – only 1st place
- € 25.000,00 net of tax;
- Award trophy.
Together with the prize money, it will be offered to the winning startup the possibility to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to perform a proof-of-concept (PoC) in order to evolve his project technically and pre-commercially.
The duration period for the PoC will be 6 months extensible, if both parts wish so, for more 4 months, in a total of 12 months. During this period of time the startup will have access to the following items:
- Working space at ENTER, a building from Altice Labs located in Lisbon;
- Project exposure to Altice Group;
- Technical support and mentoring (in areas like architecture; HW and SW technologies; systems integration; product industrialization, if applicable;
- Business support to better define/adjust the project business model.
11. Award schedule
The following dates should be taken into account by all candidates:
- February 23, 2018: release date;
- February 23 until May 31, 2018: application period;
- June 04 until June 15, 2018: period dedicated to the validation of all the received applications by local committees;
- June 18 until July 13, 2018: evaluation period of all the valid applications first by local committees and after by central committee;
- July 16, 2018: shortlist closing (5 projects from the academy and 5 projects from startups);
- July 16 until October 03, 2018: preparation period of the pitch moment and final ceremony;
- October 04, 2018: Winner’s ceremony (city and place to be revealed soon).
12. Intellectual property
Copyright and industrial property rights over the candidates projects, as well as all technical documentation relating to them, are not transferred to Altice Labs or to any of the companies of the Altice Group.
Each candidate will be responsible for the protection of any potential copyright and industrial property rights related to their application and the documents that comprise it. Altice Labs and / or the companies of the Altice Group will not be liable for any failure of the candidates to protect any copyright and / or industrial property related to the applications.
13. Data protection
Within the scope of the AIIA initiative, if the collecting and processing of personal data of the candidates in the application process is necessary to carry out all procedures inherent to the participation, Altice Labs undertakes to comply with the Personal Data legislation in force in the countries.
By completing the application form the candidates expressly agree to the storage and processing of the data entered for the above purposes. All data provided will be treated as confidential, stored and processed only for the purpose for which it was collected, and made available only to the person(s) responsible for dealing with it. Personal data will not be passed on to third parties or published or made available for general access without the candidate’s written consent. Candidates are granted the rights applicable by law, namely, rights of access, rectification and erasure. Personal data referred to above should be stored no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data was processed.
14. Declarations and warranties provided by candidates
Each candidate declares and warrants that:
- The application submitted complies with the requirements of originality and has not been plagiarized and that the information and data it provides are true, accurate and are not encumbered in any way;
- The application and all accompanying documents and information do not infringe any third party rights, including copyrights and / or industrial property rights, and comply with applicable laws and regulations;
- The application does not contain any viruses or other potentially harmful programs or other material or information;
- It will act at all times lawfully, ethically and in good faith, and comply with all applicable laws and regulations;
- It authorizes, free of charge, Altice Labs or any of the companies of the Altice Group to use, totally or partially, its name, its image, animated or not, and the reference to the project in the events carried out under the AIIA, for the purpose of promoting and disseminating the projects developed, in any part of the world and by any means, as well as its insertion in promotions and promotional materials of Altice Labs or any other company or brand of the Altice Group.
Candidate undertakes to indemnify Altice Labs against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses suffered or incurred by Altice Labs or Altice Group companies arising out of or in connection with any third party claim made against Altice Labs or Altice Group companies arising from breach of the warranties above.
15. Final provisions
The entire process of launching, processing, interpreting the contest rules, assigning and executing the AIIA will be the responsibility of Altice Labs, which will be the entity that manages and executes the entire initiative and is sovereign in its interpretation, application and deliberations on omissions.
The deadlines and dates contained in this contest rules document may be modified if deemed necessary by Altice Labs given the circumstances. Altice Labs will be responsible for the update and publish of the changes as soon as possible.
All disputes that may arise relating to the terms and conditions of the contest rules will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Lisbon.
If any provision of these terms and conditions is found by a court or other legitimate body to be illegal, invalid or unreasonable, it will not affect the remaining terms and conditions which will continue in force.